Notifications
Clear all

Recommendations For Non-Greasy Moisturizer That Absorbs Well?

MemberMember
(@snuffles)

Posted : 05/04/2013 6:41 am

I'm looking for recommendations for a good facial moisturizer that's non-greasy. I tried Cetaphil's Moisturizing Lotion (mentioned as replacement store-bought product), but it caused a pimple on the first day and it was so greasy I couldn't stand it. From what I've read I think I'd have the same problem with the acne.org moisturizer.

I have combination skin - oily T-zone with dry cheek areas. I have the occasional pimple on my cheeks or chin, but generally my skin is okay.

I've used Simple Kind to Skin Hydraging Light Moisturizer and seemed to tolerate it well and it absorbed really quickly, but I'm not really sure how hydrating it actually is as my beautician keeps saying my cheeks are still very dry. I'm also not sure if any ingredients are pore-clogging -- I had been using Simple's facial wash until I checked and realized it contained SLS, which is when I switched to Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, which has worked wonderfully since.

FYI, the Simple Kind to Skin Hydraging Light Moisturizer ingredients:

Aqua, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Mica, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Serine, Sorbitol, Urea, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin

Any offensive ingredients to beware of?

Any non-greasy and effective moisturizer recommendations would be really helpful. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/04/2013 7:52 am

I use the Clinique Dramatically Different Gel as my AM moisturizer. It absorbs really well and not sticky to wear when you live in a warm climate. It is a bit pricey for the amount you get, but worth it for me since I just use it in the AM and lasts me for 3-4 months.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 05/05/2013 3:02 am

the Simple Oil Balancing one (the blue one) is really nice - it doesnt give you an overly matte feeling (and it doesnt really do anything for oil production) but it is really light and absorbs perfectly - the only issue is that if youre skin is 'regimen dry' then it might not be hydrating enough, in which case you could just mix in a bit of cetaphil.

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 05/16/2013 11:00 pm

check reviews --

and remember to review

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 05/20/2013 3:45 pm

Yes the simple one is comedogenic and will not do any good to your skin. The Paraffin gives the appearance of moisturised skin but stops the skin from absorbing any moisture as it just sits on top.

At the moment I'm using Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream which I find to be amazing. The ingredients are 100% non comedogenic but it does contain olive oil which is debated about whether or not it clogs pores. For many of us here on acne.org it does not though. I am on accutane though so my skin is very dry, so it could be too heavy for you. You could always mix it with a drop of water to sheer it out a bit.

Another really good one if your skin is more combination than dry is Vichy Normaderm moisturiser. It lasts quite a while and is not sticky at all. It's also matte so great for oily skin. It is non comedogenic (I've checked every ingredient) and actually improved my acne a lot. I still use this sometimes if my skin isn't too dry (mixed with oilatum).

Avoid anything with Cetearyl Alcohol (even if it says non comedgogenic) as that is probably what broke you out with Cetaphil - it also gave me millions of cysts.

Try to avoid anything with Mineral oil, paraffinium liquidum, petrolatum because they are not easily absorbed. Try to go for plant/vegetable oils AND glycerin based moisturisers depending on how your skin reacts to them.

MemberMember
(@kailaruth)

Posted : 05/20/2013 5:57 pm

I love the earth science almond aloe moisturizer (I get the unscented one)

http://www.drugstore.com/earth-science-almond-aloe-moisturizer-fragrance-free/qxp141266

ingredients:

Water, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ceteareth 5, Dimethicone, Simmondsia Cinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Squalane, Vegetable Oil, Glycine Soya (Soybean) Sterols, Soya Liposomes, Tocopherol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Beta Carotene, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Phenoxyethanol

it is also inexpensive!

MemberMember
(@snuffles)

Posted : 05/21/2013 11:37 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I think my skin doesn't like any kind of oils, even the vegetable/natural ones, based on past experience. I have combination skin - mildly oily forehead and nose with dry cheeks and chin.

I'm currently trying Garnier's Aqua Defense Non-Stop Intensive Hydrating Essence. It is oil free. Been using it for a few days, skin seems less dry/flaky and feels softer. Had a couple of pimples but there were already a few pimples before starting Garnier, so I can't definitely say it was caused by the new moisturizer.

It absorbs quite quickly (within 10 minutes) and leaves skin looking a little dewy. but not greasy. It's supposedly formulated for Asian skin (which I have).

Ingredients:

AQUA/WATER, GLYCERIN, ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONE, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, VITIS VINIFERA EXTRACT/ GRAPE FRUIT EXTRACT, CARBOMER, CALCIUM GLUCONATE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, DIMETHICONOL, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, ACTINIDIA CHINENSIS WATER / KIWI FRUIT WATER, MAGNESIUM GLUCONATE,ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE, ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE, TETRASODIUM EDTA, BIOSACCHARIDE GUM-1, XANTHAN GUM, MENTHOXYPROPANEDIOL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CHLORPHENESIN, CI 19140/ YELLOW 5, CI 42090/ BLUE 1, LINALOOL, HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDEHYDE,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, (F.I.LB54335/1)

Anything particularly offensive or comedogenic in these ingredients?

Thanks...

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 05/22/2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. I think my skin doesn't like any kind of oils, even the vegetable/natural ones, based on past experience. I have combination skin - mildly oily forehead and nose with dry cheeks and chin.

I'm currently trying Garnier's Aqua Defense Non-Stop Intensive Hydrating Essence. It is oil free. Been using it for a few days, skin seems less dry/flaky and feels softer. Had a couple of pimples but there were already a few pimples before starting Garnier, so I can't definitely say it was caused by the new moisturizer.

It absorbs quite quickly (within 10 minutes) and leaves skin looking a little dewy. but not greasy. It's supposedly formulated for Asian skin (which I have).

Ingredients:

AQUA/WATER, GLYCERIN, ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONE, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, VITIS VINIFERA EXTRACT/ GRAPE FRUIT EXTRACT, CARBOMER, CALCIUM GLUCONATE, CAMELLIA SINENSIS LEAF EXTRACT, DIMETHICONOL, SODIUM CITRATE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, ACTINIDIA CHINENSIS WATER / KIWI FRUIT WATER, MAGNESIUM GLUCONATE,ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE, ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE, TETRASODIUM EDTA, BIOSACCHARIDE GUM-1, XANTHAN GUM, MENTHOXYPROPANEDIOL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, CHLORPHENESIN, CI 19140/ YELLOW 5, CI 42090/ BLUE 1, LINALOOL, HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDEHYDE,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL SALICYLATE, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, (F.I.LB54335/1)

Anything particularly offensive or comedogenic in these ingredients?

Thanks...

There's nothing particularly comedogenic in that moisturiser, however it did cause me to breakout. I think maybe it was the fruit extracts aggravating my acne. It's best to try it for about 2 weeks because if it does break you out then you'll know if it's that. Also sometimes there's a purging period where you breakout from changing products but your skin becomes accustomed to it and you clear up

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 05/22/2013 5:40 pm

I been using aveeno clear complexion moisturizer only at night time as it says the improves texture skin, tone and prevent acne. I don't breakout as much probably 2 small zits per month. It seems to be helping but is only been 2 weeks

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 05/22/2013 8:08 pm

CeraVe moisturizing cream in the tub! Best stuff ever! Light a extremely effective! I love the stuff. It got me through a accutane course when I had the crazy dry skin that comes with that mediation

MemberMember
(@ambercarrart)

Posted : 06/20/2013 11:13 am

I swear by Cerave moisturizing lotion, the big bottle with the pump. Some might find it makes your skin shiny, but i have the most oily skin on earth so I'm used to it. It doesn't bother my skin at all or cause breakouts and my skin is super duper sensitive. It's the best I've used so far. I'd rather deal with being shiny than have irritated skin :)

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/21/2013 11:45 pm

Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Combination Skin

Or do like I do and just use natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil for moisturizers.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 06/26/2013 2:29 pm

Or do like I do and just use natural oils like almond oil and evening primrose oil for moisturizers.

Does it absorb well? Ad not just sit on the skin like Cetaphil moisturiser?

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/26/2013 2:54 pm

Which specific one are you referring too? All the things I suggested absorb well.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 06/26/2013 4:30 pm

Which specific one are you referring too? All the things I suggested absorb well.

http://www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Oil-Free-Moisturiser-50ml_11630/ this. :)

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/26/2013 5:06 pm

http://www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Oil-Free-Moisturiser-50ml_11630/ this. smile.png

The one I was referring to is this: http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Oil-Free-Moisture-Combination-Ounce/dp/B000052ZB8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372284348&sr=8-5&keywords=neutrogena+oil+free+moisture

MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 06/29/2013 1:12 am

The Olay one is pretty good, just don't apply a lot at once

MemberMember
(@kevindreed)

Posted : 06/29/2013 11:59 am

Greasy moisturizers aren't a problem if they work. All you need to do is use CVS oil pads and it will wipe off the extra greasiness and shine.

MemberMember
(@clear-my-skin)

Posted : 06/29/2013 12:37 pm

On Thursday I bought Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser and have been using it in the morning (I use Cetaphil at night).

It's free of oil, which is a bonus I guess

It easily absorbs, leaving you non-greasy

It's available at boots

It's quite expensive for the amount you get though

It doesn't really do much in terms of limiting the oil you produce

I'd recommend it, it's worth a try, and it smells good.

MemberMember
(@jules92)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:21 pm

I absolutely love Neaclear's Acne moisturizer. It keeps my pimples at bay, yet it is non drying. You can buy their products at *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*

. Good luck smile.png

MemberMember
(@1want2becl3ar)

Posted : 07/20/2013 8:06 pm

The olay complete all day moisturizer with 15spf for sensitive skin recommended by dan is good. Its non greasy and absorbs very well. It doesn't take care of flakiness though unless you add jojoba oil

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 07/24/2013 5:44 am

Be careful with the olay ones! The ingredients are different in the UK to what they are in the USA and elsewhere! I looked through all of the olay moisturisers in my local supermarket and there was not one which was non comedogenic!

MemberMember
(@bryantmkiv)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:15 am

i bought Neutrogena, Balancing lotion... its awesome.. its for people that tend to develop oily skin, my face is well moisturizered and not greasy

MemberMember
(@cinnamonn)

Posted : 08/12/2013 11:24 pm

Neutrogena naturals one is my holy grail product. It's very moisturizing without being greasy.

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 08/13/2013 6:38 am

On Thursday I bought Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser and have been using it in the morning (I use Cetaphil at night).

It's free of oil, which is a bonus I guess

It easily absorbs, leaving you non-greasy

It's available at boots

It's quite expensive for the amount you get though

It doesn't really do much in terms of limiting the oil you produce

I'd recommend it, it's worth a try, and it smells good.

I don't know if you care about the comedogenity of products or not, but that moisturiser is not non-comedogenic. I know it says that it is on the packet but the ingredients contain Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Acohol, Palmitic Acid and Stearic Acid. They are all ingredients that cause acne and irritate the skin. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it if it works for you, but there's no way I would ever put that on my face haha.

Also, oil free isn't always a bonus. Only a few oils actually cause acne and many of them actually help it.

I've noticed that "oil free" products are usually filled with comedogenic fatty alcohols and useless silicones to replace the oil.

Many oils are non comedogenic and non greasy so that's something to keep in mind.

:)